Re: Vacuum time degrading - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Vacuum time degrading
Date
List pgsql-general
Wes <wespvp@syntegra.com> writes:
> On 4/4/05 8:50 AM, "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> That doesn't follow from what you said.  Did you check that the physical
>> sizes of the indexes were comparable before and after the reindex?

> No, how do I do that (or where is it documented how to do it)?

The best way is probably to capture the output of VACUUM VERBOSE (not FULL)
for the table before and after REINDEX.

> How is it not consistent?

I didn't say it wasn't consistent, just that it doesn't prove the
point.  The speedup you saw could have been from elimination of index
bloat more than from bringing the index into physically sorted order.
An estimate of the overall database size doesn't really tell us how
much this particular table's indexes changed in size.

            regards, tom lane