Re: logical column ordering - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G Johnston
Subject Re: logical column ordering
Date
List pgsql-hackers
David G Johnston wrote

> Tomas Vondra-4 wrote
>> But if we want to allow users to define this, I'd say let's make that
>> part of CREATE TABLE, i.e. the order of columns defines logical order,
>> and you use something like 'AFTER' to specify physical order.
>>
>>     CREATE TABLE test (
>>         a INT AFTER b,    -- attlognum = 1, attphysnum = 2
>>         b INT             -- attlognum = 2, attphysnum = 1
>>     );
> Why not memorialize this as a storage parameter?
>
> CREATE TABLE test (
>     a INT, b INT
> )
> WITH (layout = 'b, a')
> ;
>
> A canonical form should be defined and then ALTER TABLE can either
> directly update the current value or require the user to specify a new
> layout before it will perform the alteration.
>
> David J.

Extending the idea a bit further why not have "CREATE TABLE" be the API; or
at least something similar to it?

CREATE OR REARRANGE TABLE test (
[...]
)
WITH ();

The "[...]" part would be logical and the WITH() would define the physical.
The "PK" would simply be whatever is required to make the command work.

David J.