Re: Release note bloat is getting out of hand - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G Johnston
Subject Re: Release note bloat is getting out of hand
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane-2 wrote
> I propose that we go over to a policy of keeping in HEAD only release
> notes for actively maintained branches, and that each back branch should
> retain notes only for branches that were actively maintained when it split
> off from HEAD.  This would keep about five years worth of history in
> Appendix E, which should be a roughly stable amount of text.

+1

Given the ready web access we provide to documentation for unsupported
releases, requiring constant recompilation of static material seems
wasteful.

Maybe a release history page and a note to look at the website would be a
nice addition but removing the detailed release notes would not cause
information to be lost.

David J.