Re: psql console cannot perform createdb (windows 8.1) - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From David G Johnston
Subject Re: psql console cannot perform createdb (windows 8.1)
Date
List pgsql-novice
Tracy Bunch wrote
> No error messages during installation but console application can
> perform read operations (\l; select *, etc.) but will not perform write
> operations (createdb).  PGadmin and the createdb console apps work
> correctly.  I have tied the postgres and another user account with the
> same results.

"createdb" is a shell/command-line application and not something you run
inside of psql.

Since the "postgres" database is created for you how about you try some of
the following while logged into that database.

CREATE DATABASE newdatabase;
CREATE TABLE testtable (id serial, content text);
INSERT INTO testtable (content) VALUES ('test content');
UPDATE testtable SET content = 'newcontent';
DELETE FROM testtable;

Also, when you say "will not perform" - it has to be telling you something
when you attempt to run something.  You should provide exactly what it is
you tried to run and the exact response that you were given.

David J.