Re: Why is this query running slowly? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Why is this query running slowly?
Date
List pgsql-general
"Tomas Vondra" <tv@fuzzy.cz> writes:
> Could the planner do this reasoning, i.e. see if there's a NOT NULL
> constraint on the column and change the plan accordingly?

Possibly.  I'm not sure how expensive it would be.  Right now, a
structural change of that sort would have to be done pretty early in
planning, and we don't have a lot of info collected about the tables
at that point.  I'm afraid it would involve a special-purpose catalog
probe, which would add a lot of overhead.

            regards, tom lane