Re: BUG #5028: CASE returns ELSE value always when type is"char" - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #5028: CASE returns ELSE value always when type is"char"
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> What I'm most concerned about are the corner cases where strict typing
> would give one non-error result and the inferred typing results in an
> error or a different result from the strict typing.  I'm willing to
> argue that those are bugs, at least when the strongly typed behavior
> is mandated by the SQL standard.

Are there any such cases?  Your interpretation of strict typing seems to
be that everything is type-labeled to start with, which means that type
inference doesn't actually have anything to do.

            regards, tom lane