Re: 9.5 release scheduling (was Re: logical column ordering) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G Johnston
Subject Re: 9.5 release scheduling (was Re: logical column ordering)
Date
Re: 9.5 release scheduling (was Re: logical column ordering)  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane-2 wrote
> Robert Haas <

> robertmhaas@

> > writes:
>> On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 1:18 AM, Josh Berkus <

> josh@

> > wrote:
>>> While there were technical
>>> issues, 9.4 dragged a considerable amount because most people were
>>> ignoring it in favor of 9.5 development.
>
>> I think 9.4 dragged almost entirely because of one issue: the
>> compressibility of JSONB.
>
> 2. The amount of pre-release testing we get from people outside the
> hard-core development crowd seems to be continuing to decrease.
> We were fortunate that somebody found the JSONB issue before it was
> too late to do anything about it.  Personally, I'm very worried that
> there are other such bugs in 9.4.  But I've given up hoping that any
> more testing will happen until we put out something that calls itself
> 9.4.0, which is why I voted to release in the core discussion about it.

The compressibility properties of a new type seem like something that should
be mandated before it is committed - it shouldn't require good fortune that