Re: 9.5 release scheduling (was Re: logical column ordering) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G Johnston
Subject Re: 9.5 release scheduling (was Re: logical column ordering)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
David G Johnston wrote

> Tom Lane-2 wrote
>> Robert Haas <

>> robertmhaas@

>> > writes:
>>> On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 1:18 AM, Josh Berkus <

>> josh@

>>> I think 9.4 dragged almost entirely because of one issue: the
>>> compressibility of JSONB.
>>
>> 2. The amount of pre-release testing we get from people outside the
>> hard-core development crowd seems to be continuing to decrease.
>> We were fortunate that somebody found the JSONB issue before it was
>> too late to do anything about it.  Personally, I'm very worried that
>> there are other such bugs in 9.4.  But I've given up hoping that any
>> more testing will happen until we put out something that calls itself
>> 9.4.0, which is why I voted to release in the core discussion about it.
> The compressibility properties of a new type seem like something that
> should be mandated before it is committed - it shouldn't require good
> fortune that

... someone thought to test it out.  Is there anywhere to effectively add
that to maximize the chance someone remembers for next time?

3. Effort and brain power was also diverted to fixing 9.3 this time around.

I don't have any answers but if a release is thin on features but thick on
review and testing I wouldn't complain.  That testing, especially applied to
existing releases, would have considerable benefit to those still using
older supported releases instead of only benefitting those who can upgrade
to the latest and greatest.  An existing user on an older release is just,
if not more, important than the potential user who is looking for new
features before deciding to migrate or begin using PostgreSQL.

David J.