Re: missing chunk 0 for toast value ... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: missing chunk 0 for toast value ...
Date
List pgsql-general
Andrew Hammond <andrew.george.hammond@gmail.com> writes:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Hmm, that's pretty interesting ... are there any nearby autovacuums of
>> pg_toast_2619?

> Several, both before and after the error message:

Well, it seems clear that somehow the vacuum deleted a toast tuple that
the other statement was about to fetch, but it's not clear how this
could be.  The pg_statistic fetch must have come from the planner, which
should always be called with a transaction snapshot established, and
that ought to protect it against vacuum deleting anything that could be
visible to SnapshotNow.  Weird.

[ pokes around for a bit ... ]  Hmm, can you say how the failing query
was submitted, exactly?  I'm wondering if it came in via simple Query
(PQexec) or extended-query protocol (anything with parameters).

            regards, tom lane