Re: Woo hoo ... a whole new set of compiler headaches!! :) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Woo hoo ... a whole new set of compiler headaches!! :)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Dave Held" <dave.held@arrayservicesgrp.com> writes:
> Yeah, that's good news too, though it definitely helps that
> Postgres is written in C.  Most of the conformance improvements
> are in the C++ front-end and the C++ Standard Library.  Still
> no export though.  I personally believe that projects should
> move to C++ when possible, but I understand that there is still
> a perception that C is fundamentally faster.

I dunno about "fundamentally faster", but "fundamentally more stable"
I'd agree with.  C++ has never recovered from being a moving target
for so long.  For a project with any serious ambitions of portability,
it's a pretty risky choice.