major flaw in 6.5beta1??? (UPDATE/INSERT waiting) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dirk Lutzebaeck
Subject major flaw in 6.5beta1??? (UPDATE/INSERT waiting)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I'm quite shocked, I hope this is dream:

> psql cs
Welcome to the POSTGRESQL interactive sql monitor: Please read the file COPYRIGHT for copyright terms of POSTGRESQL
[PostgreSQL 6.5.0 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc egcs-2.91.5]
  type \? for help on slash commands  type \q to quit  type \g or terminate with semicolon to execute queryYou are
currentlyconnected to the database: cs

cs=> select envelope from recipient where envelope=510349;
envelope
--------  88320 510349 510349 510349 510349 510349 510349 510349 510349 510349 510349 510349
(12 rows)

To my understanding the first should have been *never* selected.

I had a strange problem tonight, where the backends stopped working
saying something like this

UPDATE waiting
INSERT waiting

dead locks? how can these happen? killed some backends, and restarted
the server. Seems part of the db are corrupted now. Back to 6.4.2?

Dirk