Rename entries with an increment - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From JimmyJ
Subject Rename entries with an increment
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi, here is my issue. I have a table containing names. If a name appears
several times, I would like to rename it to add an incremented number to it.
For example, if 'Peter' appears three times in the table, I would like to
rename the first 'Peter' entry to 'Peter-1', the second one to 'Peter-2' and
so on. However, I began to do something but this doesn't seem to work at all
^^. Could someone please help me ? Thanks :)

DECLARE num int;

UPDATE test.suscribers
SET p_name = CONCAT(p_name,'-',num)
WHERE p_name=
(
    SELECT name
    FROM
    (
        SELECT *
        FROM
            (
                SELECT test.suscribers.p_name AS nom, COUNT(*) AS nb
                FROM test.suscribers
                GROUP BY test.suscribers.p_name
            )
        AS table1