Re: Inverse of pg_get_serial_sequence? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G Johnston
Subject Re: Inverse of pg_get_serial_sequence?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andres Freund-3 wrote
> Hi,
>
> We have pg_get_serial_sequence() mapping (relation, colum) to the
> sequence. What I'm missing right now is the inverse. I.e. given a
> sequence tell me the owner.
> describe.c has a query for that, and it's not too hard to write, but it
> still seems 'unfriendly' not to provide it.
>
> Does anybody dislike adding a function for that?
>

> I can't really think of a good name (not that pg_get_serial_sequence is
> well named). pg_get_serial_sequence_owner(serial regclass, OUT rel
> regclass, OUT colname name) maybe?

On a pure consistency basis: pg_get_sequence_serial(...) [though probably
plural: _serials(...)]

I'd drop the serial part altogether for the more appropriate:

pg_get_sequence_ownedby(...)

Given that ALTER SEQUENCE ... OWNED BY ... Is the corresponding SQL

The inverse of what you proposed above would probably be more like:

pg_get_owned_sequence(...)

Reminder: sequences can be unowned.

Ownership and usage via default are separate things though: do you have need
to know all users of a sequence or only the single one that is defined as
it's owner?

pg_get_sequence_users(...) [or serials: as noted first]

David J.