Re: Hardening pg_upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G Johnston
Subject Re: Hardening pg_upgrade
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote
> I had to make an exception for temporary tables because pg_upgrade uses
> temporary tables to collect schema information.  I tried writing the
> query to use CTEs (second patch), but I would then have to have one
> query for 8.3, which doesn't support CTEs, and another for 8.4+, plus
> the CTE query was more complex than I liked.  Another idea would be to
> drop 8.3 support (and remove lots of code to support that), but the
> recent large increase in the number of people upgrading from 8.4 makes
> that unattractive.  (8.3 did use a different timestamp storage format
> though.)

Why not tell people on 8.3- that a direct upgrade is not supported but that
an indirect upgrade to 9.4 or earlier has to be performed first and then
that can be upgraded to 9.5+ ?

I'm not clear on how the 8.4 upgrades volume impacts a decision to support
8.3- upgrades?

David J.