Re: Use of 'now' constant datatype in view to take advantage of partitioned table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Patrick Dung
Subject Re: Use of 'now' constant datatype in view to take advantage of partitioned table
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

I got a typo in last mail, below is the updated one, with changes in bold fonts.

The method is inspired by Date LastDay - PostgreSQL wiki

1. Create a function like:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION now_function_ts_notz()
  RETURNS timestamp without time zone AS
$BODY$
  SELECT (NOW())::timestamp without time zone;
$BODY$
  LANGUAGE sql IMMUTABLE STRICT
  COST 100;

2.
CREATE VIEW v_recent_food AS
 SELECT *
   FROM food
  WHERE food.post_timestamp >= (now_function_ts_notz() - '1 mon'::interval)::date
  AND food.post_timestamp <= now_function_ts_notz()::timestamp without time zone
  ORDER BY food.post_timestamp DESC
 LIMIT 30;

While running 'EXPLAIN ANALYZE select * from v_recent_items'
I found that it skipped the partition table food_2013p.
Is it a valid work around? Or there is other better or elegant way?

Thanks and regards,
Patrick