Re: alter user to change user's password returns pg_shadow: Permission denied. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: alter user to change user's password returns pg_shadow: Permission denied.
Date
List pgsql-general
Wayne Johnson <wdtj@yahoo.com> writes:
> According to the Postgresql manual, a user can alter their own
> password.  When I try:
> alter user "test" with password "zzzz";
> Where test is the user id signed in with, I get the error:
> ERROR:  pg_shadow: Permission denied.

Works for me.  What version are you running?

BTW, any reasonably recent version of PG will object to that style of
quoting --- the password in ALTER USER is a string literal, not an
identifier, so it needs single quotes not double quotes.

            regards, tom lane