Re: Connection limit doesn't work for superuser - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Connection limit doesn't work for superuser
Date
Re: Connection limit doesn't work for superuser  (Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 9:45 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I'd vote against.  I think there are way more cases where this would
>> create a problem than where it would fix one.

> Like what?

alter user postgres connection limit 0;

... oops ...

I'm not buying the argument that there are realistic use-cases where
you need a connection limit on a superuser role, either.  Whatever
you're doing that might merit a connection limit should not be done
as superuser.  I think this proposal boils down to asking for support
for an incredibly bad application design, and equipping every database
with an additional foot-gun in order to have that.