Re: [DOCS] backpatching documentation after conversion to XML - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [DOCS] backpatching documentation after conversion to XML
Date
List pgsql-docs
Alexander Lakhin <exclusion@gmail.com> writes:
> 21.10.2017 19:57, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> In a nearby message, Tom pointed out that the ongoing conversion of the
>> documentation sources from SGML to XML could/will cause problems when
>> backpatching.  The changes made so far would merely cause merge
>> conflicts but there is an additional issue to consider that can cause
>> compatibility problems.

> Peter, are you going to rename all the *.sgml to *.xml (and to move the
> files from sgml/ to /xml directory) as I did?
> If so (I think it would be right), then backpatching without some
> modifications will be impossible anyway.

That's true, but I'd at least like the diffs to apply to the .sgml
files in the older branches.  I'm not sure whether git's built-in
support for file renames would handle such cases automatically;
but even if it doesn't, having to account for these changes by hand
will raise the pain factor very substantially.

> I think we should make a script to backport doc/-related commits.

That's an interesting idea, but I really doubt that you'll be able
to make a script that copes with this without having back-patched
the changes we're discussing.  As an example, any given closing tag
might've already been spelled out in the back branches; we've never
been consistent about that.  So you couldn't just automatically
shorten all the closing tags and expect to have a patch that applies.

BTW, there is also this recent complaint that we're now emitting
HTML anchors in all-lower-case:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/os1mii$lpk$1@blaine.gmane.org

I assume this is a toolchain change rather than a source code change,
so there's not a lot we can do to undo the change.  However, if we were
to downcase all the SGML IDs in the back branches, then at least the
anchors would be consistent across versions.  That's probably not the
answer that Kellerer wanted, but it's better than the status quo.
(And it'd be good to get it done before next month's update releases.)