\copy needs work (was Re: Changing Column Order) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject \copy needs work (was Re: Changing Column Order)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 12:43:37 +0300,
>   Antti Haapala <antti.haapala@iki.fi> wrote:
>> What about copy? AFAIK, copy doesn't allow column names being specified,
>> so it's not purely aesthetic...

> The SQL COPY command does (at least in 7.3). The \copy psql command
> doesn't seem to allow this though.

That's an oversight; \copy should have been fixed for 7.3.

Do we want to look at this as a bug (okay to fix for 7.3) or a new
feature (wait for 7.4)?

I see something that I think is a must-fix omission in the same code:
it should allow a schema-qualified table name.  So I'm inclined to fix
both problems now.