Re: Should I partition this table? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From AlexK
Subject Re: Should I partition this table?
Date
List pgsql-general
Bill,

Regarding "SELECT performance improve nearly linerally to the number of
partitions," - can you elaborate why? If I split my table into several
partitions, even the index depth may stay the same, because the PK is
narrow, it only consists of 2 4-byte integers.

My selects are distributed more or less evenly, so we really like your
suggestion to split on ParentID%SomeNumber, thank you!

At this time we would rather not introduce bugs related to cache
invalidation. Although we do need to read data fast, we do not want stale
data, and we cannot afford any bugs in this application.