Re: [HACKERS] pg_upgrade from 9.5 to 9.6 fails with "invalid argument" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] pg_upgrade from 9.5 to 9.6 fails with "invalid argument"
Date
List pgsql-general
> Moreover I think getErrorText() as a whole is misconceived and should be
> removed altogether (why pstrdup the string?).

Indeed.  I think bouncing the error back to the caller is misguided
to start with, seeing that the caller is just going to do pg_fatal
anyway.  We should rewrite these functions to just error out internally,
which will make it much easier to provide decent error reporting
indicating which call failed.

            regards, tom lane