Re: psql patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: psql patch
Date
List pgsql-patches
"Jeroen T. Vermeulen" <jtv@xs4all.nl> writes:
> One of the goals of my patch is to enable immediate notification of
> notifications, even when the listening process isn't issuing a query.
> Maybe it would be nice to be able to check for notifications e.g.
> whenever the input line is empty.  That change would be rather messy
> without a slight restructuring.

Hmm.  Once you have started to type, it would be annoying for the
thing to spit out notifications, even if you momentarily backspace
out what you've typed.  I'd argue that it's only okay to print
notifications after completion of a command (where at least some
backslash constructs, eg \r, could be allowed to count as a command).

I find it kind of hard to envision situations where you'd really care
anyway.  No one's going to use psql as the base for an interactive
application that depends on LISTEN/NOTIFY, surely?

            regards, tom lane