How does the PostgreSQL partition pruning happens ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From viraj
Subject How does the PostgreSQL partition pruning happens ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi ,

I'm new to postgres and going through it's documentation. I have problem
about partition pruning in postgres.

In postgres partition is done by child tables. My problem are,

1. when we issue a query to master table , does the query optimizer do
partition pruning ? i.e select appropriate child table rather than going
through all the child tables.

2. How does the query optimizer do the partition pruning ? My concern is
unlike other databases we don't give partition column in postgres
partitioning process. So how does the query optimizer knows what is the
partition column ?