Re: Cannot query views with WHERE clause on renamed columns - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G Johnston
Subject Re: Cannot query views with WHERE clause on renamed columns
Date
List pgsql-general
Alexander Reichstadt wrote
> Hi,
>
> I try to do what seems to be totally simple, but it fails. If I query a
> view that contains renamed columns without any qualifier like
>
> SELECT * FROM myview
>
> it displays everything. If however I do
>
> SELECT reanmedviewcolumn FROM myview
>
> It tells me column does not exist which in fact does. I can query any
> non-renamed columns. But the renamed ones I can neither call by their
> original name, not int he SELECT part nor in the WHERE clause.
>
> I can neither leave the view with just the original names as it's a
> selfjoin.
>
> What do I need to do?

Show us your actual code that is failing?

The general idea of what you are saying indeed works:

BEGIN;

CREATE VIEW myview AS SELECT 'one'::text AS one, 'two'::text AS two;

SELECT one FROM myview WHERE two = 'three';

ROLLBACK;

David J.