Re: NUMA packaging and patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: NUMA packaging and patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Claudio Freire <klaussfreire@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sadly, it excludes the OS cache explicitly (when it mentions libc.so),
> which is one of the hottest sources of memory bandwidth consumption in
> a database.

Agreed.  On the bright side, the packagers and/or sysadmins can fix this
without any changes to the PostgreSQL code, by creating a custom cpuset
and using it during launch of the postmaster.  I went through that
exercise in my original email.  This patch complements that by
preventing one CPU from managing all of PostgreSQL shared memory, and
thus becoming a bottleneck.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com