Re: Postgresql not getting assigned memory - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Postgresql not getting assigned memory
Date
List pgsql-admin
Oliver <ofabelo@gmail.com> wrote:

> I only want be sure about shared_buffers parameter. What I set
> there, is it memory that postgresql will use (will allocate)
> initially (when it is started) or memory until that postgresql
> can reach of the server?

It is part of the main shared memory segment allocated when the
database service starts, and to which every backend connects.  Each
backend makes other allocations from the OS, which are not
consrtained by this setting.

PostgreSQL goes through the OS filesystems, so the OS cache and
buffers are also used for PostgreSQL data.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com