Re: WARNING: nonstandard use of escape in a string literal - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: WARNING: nonstandard use of escape in a string literal
Date
List pgsql-general
John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> writes:
> Bill Moran wrote:
>> You need to spend some quality time with the documentation.  Seriously,
>> the issue _is_ confusing, but the docs explain it all, if you take the
>> time to read all of it.

> and, naturally, this gets even more complicated and confusing when the
> string is a literal in a C/Perl/etc program that has its OWN escaping
> going on.

... which is why we invented "dollar quoting".  That's even less
standard than anything else, but it is tremendously useful when you'd
otherwise have to deal with multiple layers of escaping rules.

            regards, tom lane