Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> I wouldn't necessarily hold up git as a model of user interface
> engineering ;-) ... but still, it might be interesting to take a
> look at exactly what heuristics they used here.  I'm sure there
> are other precedents we could look at, too.

On my Ubuntu machine, bash does something similar.  A few examples
chosen completely arbitrarily:

kgrittn@Kevin-Desktop:~$ got
No command 'got' found, did you mean:
 Command 'go' from package 'golang-go' (universe)
 Command 'gout' from package 'scotch' (universe)
 Command 'jot' from package 'athena-jot' (universe)
 Command 'go2' from package 'go2' (universe)
 Command 'git' from package 'git' (main)
 Command 'gpt' from package 'gpt' (universe)
 Command 'gom' from package 'gom' (universe)
 Command 'goo' from package 'goo' (universe)
 Command 'gst' from package 'gnu-smalltalk' (universe)
 Command 'dot' from package 'graphviz' (main)
 Command 'god' from package 'god' (universe)
 Command 'god' from package 'ruby-god' (universe)
got: command not found
kgrittn@Kevin-Desktop:~$ groupad
No command 'groupad' found, did you mean:
 Command 'groupadd' from package 'passwd' (main)
 Command 'groupd' from package 'cman' (main)
groupad: command not found
kgrittn@Kevin-Desktop:~$ asdf
No command 'asdf' found, did you mean:
 Command 'asdfg' from package 'aoeui' (universe)
 Command 'sadf' from package 'sysstat' (main)
 Command 'sdf' from package 'sdf' (universe)
asdf: command not found
kgrittn@Kevin-Desktop:~$ zxcv
zxcv: command not found

--