Re: Re: BUG REPORT: SQL Editor selects too much text after you hit return and select "one line" - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Colin Beckingham
Subject Re: Re: BUG REPORT: SQL Editor selects too much text after you hit return and select "one line"
Date
List pgadmin-support
On Tue, 2014-06-17 at 13:14 -0400, k mac wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I received one response to my enquiry asking me to "Change your
> keyboard" which is something I cannot do, as the keyboard is part of
> the notebook I'm typing on.
>

> Not sure of the process here. Should I expect a response from support
> or development? If so, within a week, month, … ?
>

> Thanks
>

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 9:31 AM, k mac <kmac@loxcel.com> wrote:
>         PRODUCT: pgADMIN SQL Editor
>

>         VERSION: pgADMIN version 1.18.1 (Apr 9 2014, rev: REL-1_18_1)
>

>         ISSUE: Editor selects too much text after you hit return and
>         select "one line".
>

>         The following example illustrates the issue:
>

>         cursor-1.png shows three lines of text in SQL Editor, with the
>         cursor positioned in the middle of the 1st line:
>

>         Inline image 1
>

>         cursor-2.png shows the effect of pressing the Enter / Return
>         key:
>

>         Inline image 2
>

>         Up to this point, everything is as expected.
>

>         cursor-3.png shows the anomaly: after pressing Enter / Return,
>         I then held "Shift" while pressing "cursor down" ONCE, to
>         select the second line of text "efg". However, two lines of
>         text were selected: "efg" and the first four characters from
>         line 3. I know of no other application that behaves this way.
>

>         Inline image 3
>

>         cursor-4.png shows what I expected to have happened after
>         pressing "Shift" + "cursor down" ONCE:
>

>         Inline image 4
>

>         Would you be able to make text selection behave as shown in
>         cursor-4.png?

It's possible that by "change your keyboard" the reference is to the
keyboard codes returned by keystrokes rather than the actual physical
keyboard itself. Many operating systems allow you to set your keystrokes
to refer to different characters depending on the language in use, say
vowels with accents, c with a cedilla and so on. If your OS is using the
default US keyboard mapping layout then this probably is not the issue,
but if some other more obscure layout is in use then pgadmin may have
some issues handing the input. Just something to consider.