Re: RPMS for 7.3 beta. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: RPMS for 7.3 beta.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
>> How does pg_upgrade work?
> [ pretty good description ]

You missed a key point, which is that pg_upgrade does not even try to
cope with version-to-version system catalog changes.  It assumes it can
use pg_dump to dump and reload the database schema.  So there is no
hope, ever, that it will be more reliable than pg_dump.  All pg_upgrade
tries to do is short-circuit the moving of the bulk data.

The bald fact of the matter is that we are still a good ways away from
the point where we might be willing to freeze the system catalogs.  PG
is evolving and improving by a substantial amount with every release,
and the implication of that is that there *will* be some upgrade pain.
If you don't like that ... well ... you're welcome to keep using PG 6.1
... but I haven't got a better answer.