Re: disabling log_rotation_age feature. - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From David G Johnston
Subject Re: disabling log_rotation_age feature.
Date
List pgsql-docs
David G Johnston wrote

> Tomonari Katsumata-2 wrote
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm reading about log_rotation_age.
>> And I noticed that the setting for disabling the feature is not clear.
>>

>> The document tells us to set it to ZERO if we want to disable the
>> feature.
>> However, the feature would be disabled if we set it less than one minute.
>>
>> [Example]
>> $ grep log_rotation_age ${PGDATA}/postgresql.conf
>> #log_rotation_age = 1d # Automatic rotation of logfiles will
>> log_rotation_age = 10s # Automatic rotation of logfiles will
>>
>> $ psql postgres
>> psql (9.5devel)
>> Type "help" for help.
>>
>> postgres=# show log_rotation_age ;
>> log_rotation_age
>> ------------------
>> 0
>> (1 row)
>>
>> I think this fact should be written on document for users.
>>
>> [Fix Example]
>> *********
>> After this many minutes have elapsed, a new log file will
>> - be created. Set to zero to disable time-based creation of
>> + be created. Set to zero or less than one minute to disable time-based
>> new log files.
>> *********
> I suggest documenting, if correct, that maximum resolution is minutes
> (rounding down) and thus any sub-1-minute value will be interpreted as
> zero and disable the feature.
>
> David J.

Note that given the description and the fact only integer is supported the
above is already implied today.  I would think specifying a seconds should
result in an error since doing so requires a floating point value.

Is it documented (if true) that any floating point number given to an
integer typed parameter is truncated?  Or does the time form with units have
some special behavior?

David J.