Re: Optimizer issue -- bad query plan? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Optimizer issue -- bad query plan?
Date
List pgsql-general
Moshe Jacobson <moshe@neadwerx.com> wrote:

> I can provide any other information you want, just let me know.

The best thing would be to show a *self-contained* test case --
that is, starting with an empty database create tables and (if
needed) the view and show a query which demonstrates the problem,
all in the form of a SQL script.  Perhaps you only need to or three
tables to demonstrate the effect; if you need more, that in itself
is a valuable clue.

If a developer can make the issue occur on their own machine, they
can investigate much more effectively than without that.  This is
especially true when something works as expected in a number tests
on a wide variety of environments; something must be different
about your environment, tables, or queries -- but what?  A self-
contained test will make that clear.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com