Re: Fwd: libpq: indefinite block on poll during network problems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G Johnston
Subject Re: Fwd: libpq: indefinite block on poll during network problems
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane-2 wrote
> Dmitry Samonenko <

> shreddingwork@

> > writes:
>> Yeah, that will work. Looks simple to implement in the client. Question
>> is:
>> why don't you think it should be a part of the libpq's API? It's a must
>> have feature in high availability environments where only several minutes
>> of Out of Service per year are tolerable.
>
> That argument seems nonsensical from here.  If you need HA then you should
> be using network service monitoring tools, not relying on some random
> libpq client to decide that its connection has been lost.

Though this then begs the question: if the connection comes back up what
happens in the client?  If the client is still stuck then I'd say that is
possibly our problem to address - but if the client resumes then expecting
and resolving the issue at a higher level seems to make sensible policy.

David J.