Re: strtoll/strtoull emulation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: strtoll/strtoull emulation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2014-06-03 10:55:17 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Ugh.  Surely Windows has got *some* equivalent, perhaps named differently?

> Apparently they've added strtoull()/stroll() to msvc 2013... And there's
> _strtoui64() which seems to have already existed a while back.

> But it seems easier to me to add one fallback centrally somewhere that
> works on all platforms. I am not sure that msvc is the only platform
> missing strtoull() - although I didn't find anything relevant in a quick
> search through the buildfarm. So maybe I am worrying over nothing.

It used to be called strtouq on some really old platforms, but we already
have code to deal with that naming.

I checked my pet dinosaur HPUX box, and it has HAVE_LONG_LONG_INT64 but
not HAVE_STRTOULL.  It's very possibly the last such animal in captivity
though.  I'm not really sure it's worth carrying a port file just to keep
that platform alive.

Another issue is that strtoull() is not necessarily what we want anyway:
what we want is the function corresponding to uint64, which on most
modern platforms is going to be strtoul().