Re: Faster distinct query? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rob Sargent
Subject Re: Faster distinct query?
Date
List pgsql-general
I would look into pre-loading the lookup table (and pre-emptive
maintenance).  Add the foreign key, but not the trigger.

> That makes sense. Thanks!

Yeah, then I got to wondering: Do you care?  Are these stations likely
to be spoofed?  You have the station id and type in you data table and
essentially the same in your lookup table.  If you're not replacing the
id+type in your data table with a lookup id you really don't need to
even have a foreign key.  Maybe sync them regularly but I'm not seeing
the value in the runtime overhead.  Now presumably the station table is
entirely pinned in memory and foreign key check might not be much
overhead but it won't be zero.