Re: Pgbouncer help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Yelai, Ramkumar IN BLR STS
Subject Re: Pgbouncer help
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks for your great inputs.

Let me see, how to handle these situations in our project.

Regards,
Ramkumar

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Crawford [mailto:scrawford@pinpointresearch.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:09 AM
To: Jeff Janes
Cc: Yelai, Ramkumar IN BLR STS; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Pgbouncer help

On 08/27/2013 10:40 AM, Jeff Janes wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 1:34 AM, Yelai, Ramkumar IN BLR STS
> <ramkumar.yelai@siemens.com> wrote:
>> HI
>>

>> In our current project, we are opening several postgresql connection.
>> Few connections are frequently used and few are occasionally used.
>> Hence we plan to adapt connection pool method to avoid more
>> connection to open.  We plan to use "Pgbouncer".  Most of the
>> pgbouncer example shows how to configure, but they are not explaining how to use in C++.
>>

>> Please provide me a example, how to use it in C++.
> pgbouncer is designed to look (to the client) just like a normal
> postgresql server....
However...

Since clients are reusing previously accessed server sessions, be sure to consider the implication of the different
pooltypes and reset options.

For example, if you have multi-statement transactions you cannot, of course, use statement-level pooling since the
serverconnection is released after the statement.

And if you set any runtime parameters (set time zone to..., set statement timeout..., etc.) then you will probably need
touse session-level pooling and you will need to set server_reset_query appropriately otherwise you risk ending up
eitherhaving parameters set to values you did not expect by a previously connected client or having parameters you set
"disappear"when your next statement is assigned to a different server connection.

A similar issue exists if you use temporary tables as you need to be sure to stick with the same server connection
whileyour processing needs the temporary table and you need to clean it up when you release the connection so it
doesn'tuse extra resources and doesn't interfere with statements issued a subsequent client.

For more, see the following if you haven't read them already:
http://pgbouncer.projects.pgfoundry.org/doc/config.html
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PgBouncer

Cheers,
Steve