Re: FTS - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From David G Johnston
Subject Re: FTS
Date
List pgsql-novice
Jonatan Malaver wrote
> Hello,
>
>      I'm trying to use full-text-search to make it easier on my users to
> search for things. One problem that I have is that my users are entering
> units (e.g. amps, volts, etc...) is there a way to point those units to a
> certain table? Or may be create a custom data type that would mean those
> units? (similar to money data type).
>
>    I appreciate all your suggestions.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon

Sure, though I doubt you will use the FTS capabilities to accomplish such.
As the name implies everything you store in a FTS column is plain text.

You might want to give some specifics as to what data you are storing, and
how, and what queries look like.

Basically you probably need to pre-analyze the string for units, set the
appropriate route pointers, the pass the remainder of the string (or the
whole thing, depending) onto the next stage of processing.  It might be
possible to use CASE instead of procedural logic but again you provide too
little information.

David J.