Re: a row not deletes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G Johnston
Subject Re: a row not deletes
Date
List pgsql-general
Andres Freund-3 wrote
> Hi,
>
> On 2014-04-27 10:23:18 +0200, Rafał Pietrak wrote:
>> I've just experienced an unexpected (for me) "loss" of DELETE. Is this a
>> feature or a bug (postgres v.s. SQL)?
>
> I guess you're using 9.2 or older? You are not allowed to update the
> deleted row in a BEFORE trigger. The source has this comment about it
> (in 9.3 onwards):

IOW, it is a bug discovered during the 9.2 release that was deemed improper
to back-patch.

However, the bug applies to behavior that should only happen by mistake; you
should not have a trigger that updates the row you are currently deleting.
But since the behavior results is working code breaking it in a released
branch is frowned upon.

David J.