LOG: incomplete message from client - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From tcoq
Subject LOG: incomplete message from client
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hi together,

I am batch-inserting a wide table with 50 columns via JAVA JDBC. (Postgres
9.2.8)

Sporadically I run into this error: (server)

LOG:  incomplete message from client

(client):

: 16:26:06,830  WARN taskExecutor-3 spi.SqlExceptionHelper:143 - SQL Error:
0, SQLState: 08006
: 16:26:06,831 ERROR taskExecutor-3 spi.SqlExceptionHelper:144 - An I/O
error occurred while sending to the .
: 16:26:06,834  WARN taskExecutor-3 impl.NewPooledConnection:486 - [c3p0] A
PooledConnection that has already signalled a Connection error is still in
use!
: 16:26:06,835  WARN taskExecutor-3 impl.NewPooledConnection:487 - [c3p0]
Another error has occurred [ org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: This
connection has been closed. ] which will not be reported to listeners!
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: This connection has been closed.
    at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Connection.checkClosed(AbstractJdbc2Connection.java:837)
    at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Connection.getAutoCommit(AbstractJdbc2Connection.java:798)
    at
com.mchange.v2.c3p0.impl.NewProxyConnection.getAutoCommit(NewProxyConnection.java:985)
    at
org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.internal.LogicalConnectionImpl.isAutoCommit(LogicalConnectionImpl.java:392)
    at

org.hibernate.engine.transaction.internal.TransactionCoordinatorImpl.afterNonTransactionalQuery(TransactionCoordinatorImpl.java:195)
    at org.hibernate.internal.SessionImpl.afterOperation(SessionImpl.java:594)
    at
org.hibernate.internal.SessionImpl.executeNativeUpdate(SessionImpl.java:1289)
    at org.hibernate.internal.SQLQueryImpl.executeUpdate(SQLQueryImpl.java:400)

Im only inserting empy values but one column differs in size: URL-column.
When i decrease the batch-size the problem occurs less frequent. I believe
the problem depends on the varying URL size I want to insert.

Is there any way to debug or are there any restrictions on JDBC size for
BATCH inserts? Or is it possible that there are invalid characters inside
some URLs?

Best regards
Steffen