Re: [WIP] collation support revisited (phase 1) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [WIP] collation support revisited (phase 1)
Date
Re: [WIP] collation support revisited (phase 1)  (Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM>)
List pgsql-hackers
Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM> writes:
> I think if we support UTF8 encoding, than it make sense to create own charsets,
> because system locales could have defined collation for that.

Say what?  I cannot imagine a scenario in which a user-defined encoding
would be useful. The amount of infrastructure you need for a new
encoding is so large that providing management commands is just silly
--- anyone who can create the infrastructure can do the last little bit
for themselves.  The analogy to index access methods is on point, again.