streaming replication + wal shipping - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Anupama Ramaswamy
Subject streaming replication + wal shipping
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi All,

I would like to setup a 2 servers with streaming replication, one master and another hot standby.
I want to use the standby for read-only queries. So I want the replication lag to be as small as possible.
So I choose streaming replication over WAL shipping.

When the master fails, I want the standby to take over as master. So I would like minimal data loss, if there is a streaming replication delay.

Is it possible to setup such a way that under normal conditions the standby by replicating using streaming replication and on failover, it uses the WAL archive for syncing up with the transactions. Of course the WAL will be available on a shared storage volume. If this is possible, what exactly do I need in my configuration files - postgresql.conf, recovery.conf ?

Thanks for your help
Anupama.