Re: pgwin32_open returning EINVAL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgwin32_open returning EINVAL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Updated version attached. Comments on the wording of the messages are also
> welcome ;-)

Well, since you asked ;-) ... I don't particularly like this.

1. Doesn't distinguish SHARING_VIOLATION from LOCK_VIOLATION.
We might want to know that.

2. Do we really want this to be WARNING?  LOG seems a better idea,
since it's not warning about anything the client app did wrong.

3. Doesn't follow the message style guide: shoehorning two sentences
into errmsg() is surely not compliant.  Perhaps
errmsg: could not open file \"%s\": sharing violationOR errmsg: could not open file \"%s\": lock violation
errdetail: Continuing to retry for up to 30 seconds.
errhint: OK as you have it.