Re: Remote troubleshooting session connection? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: Remote troubleshooting session connection?
Date
List pgsql-general
Jim Garrison wrote
> Assuming I can pause the driving Java code between queries in a job, is
> there any way to connect from PGAdmin (or another tool) and view the state
> of tables in the in-progress transaction?  If this is not currently
> possible, how difficult would it be to do?

What you want is "dirty read" semantics which none of the implemented
transaction isolation levels permit - so no you cannot go make an
uncommitted change and read the results from another session.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/transaction-iso.html

That said I thought there was a project out there, probably related to data
recovery, that allows one to examine the system without respecting any
transactional boundaries.

David J.