Re: BUG #16758: create temporary table with the same name loses defaults, indexes - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #16758: create temporary table with the same name loses defaults, indexes
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> In 12.5 (and later), in a clean, empty database (in this case the default
> 12.5 docker image), when I execute the following lines:

>     create table xx (name text NOT NULL default '', PRIMARY KEY(name));
>     create temporary table xx
>         (like xx including DEFAULTS including CONSTRAINTS including INDEXES);

Hm, interesting.  Without having dug into the code, I bet what is
happening is that after creating pg_temp.xx, the LIKE code is looking
to see "what indexes exist on table xx?", to which the answer is "none"
because it finds pg_temp.xx.  We need to nail down the schema in which
xx is sought for that step.  As a workaround, you could nail down the
schema manually:

create temporary table xx (like public.xx including DEFAULTS including
CONSTRAINTS including INDEXES);

The ordering of these operations got rearranged recently to fix some
other bugs, so it doesn't surprise me if it used to work differently.

            regards, tom lane