Re: FATAL: the database system is starting up - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: FATAL: the database system is starting up
Date
List pgsql-general
fluxh wrote
> I have the same problem. I have a log like patrick keshishian. I have not
> a backup.
>
> I don't know that do.
>
> Help me please!!!
>
> Information:
>
> - Server with RAID1 on SAS HD Hot-plug.
> - Ubuntu Server 12.04 x64.
> - Postgresql 9.1.
>
> When I do "psql" PostgreSQL shows "psql: FATAL: the database system is
> starting up" and when I write pg_dump or I try connect with pgAdmin3.

You should supply your actual log file and also provide some narrative of
what exactly you were doing prior to this condition occurring.  Some context
as to architecture wouldn't hurt - such as how many and what kinds of
applications are connecting to the database, especially those that maintain
persistent connections.

System commad output like top and ps may also be of value though after you
provide the background a more directed Q&A can follow.

In short it sounds like you need to force PostgreSQL to shutdown and then
start it back up again.  If you are using the apt package you'd do this via
some invocation of pg_ctlcluster for which there is ample documentation of
both it and the underlying pg_ctl command.

David J.