Re: Refuse SSL patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Refuse SSL patch
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Can't you use a "reject" hostssl line in hba.conf to keep SSL connections
> from working for particular IP addresses? Does the client not fall back
> in this case?

I think it won't --- the fallback is only at the initial attempt to open
the connection, not if the startup packet is rejected.

A more global question is whether the overhead of SSL is really large
enough to justify any concern about avoiding it.  I have never measured
it, but even a local LAN is a lot slower than modern CPUs.  It doesn't
seem to me to be a foregone conclusion that we need to worry about
providing a way to avoid it.

            regards, tom lane