Re: xpath functionerror - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: xpath functionerror
Date
List pgsql-general
sparikh wrote
> Thanks David for your quick response. My original objective was to get the
> value of a particular node in xml which is stored as text datatype in the
> table.
>
> For example :
>

> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> -
> <settings>
> -
> <F999>
> <amperage>
> 16
> </amperage>
> <amperagesteps/>
> </F9999>
> </settings>
> I want to extract the value of amperage as '16'. Like that I may have many
> nodes in xml want to get the report to show them in different columns. I
> used to do this with oracle using xml functions provided.
>
> Trying to figure out same in postgres.
>
> Thanks again for your help.

And the same goes for PostgreSQL but you need to use the correct data types;
xml functions operate on XML instead of TEXT because that way they don't
really need to deal with bad text input - the type conversion function takes
care of making sure the text is valid XML.

David J.