Re: Permanent settings - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Permanent settings
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> 2) allow *commenting* of pg_settings / SET PERMANENT.  Thus:

> SET PERMANENT work_mem = '12mb' COMMENT '16mb too high; OOM';

Ugh :-(

I think that putting this into SET is a pretty bad idea in any case.
SET is, and always has been, a session-local operation.  Providing a
secondary option that transforms it into something completely different
doesn't seem to me to be good design.  If we do anything along this line
it should be some other syntax --- and really a specialized function
will serve the purpose just fine.

The other stuff you suggest is even more lily-gilding, not to mention
completely pointless unless we were to make this function the *only* way
that the settings could be changed.