Re: Swedish characters - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Swedish characters
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Rickard Annell <Rickard.Annell@udac.se> writes:
> ./configure  --prefix=/service/database/postgres_test --enable-odbc
> --enable-local
> export LC_ALL=sv_SE
> export LC_CTYPE=sv_SE
> export LC_COLLATE=sv_SE

> nohup ./postmaster -p 5431 -i >server.log 2>&1 &

You do know that under 7.1, the important LC_ values are the ones that
initdb sees, not the ones that the postmaster sees, right?  Can't tell
from this snippet whether you initdb'd in Swedish locale or not.

> create table test (id int , name varchar,primary key(id));
> insert into test values (1,'Åsbrink');
> select * from test where lower(name) like '%å%';
>   id | name
> (0 rows)

Is this a bug?  I'd sort of think that 'å' is not lower case
(although maybe my mail reader isn't presenting it in the right
font ... it looks like an accented upper case I to me, but what
do you think it is?).  Shouldn't you say "where lower(name) like
lower('%å%')"?  Or perhaps use ILIKE to get a case-insensitive
compare.

            regards, tom lane