Re: roles inheriting configuration values - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: roles inheriting configuration values
Date
List pgsql-general
Adrian Klaver-3 wrote
> On 02/07/2014 11:08 AM, Joe Van Dyk wrote:
>> I'd like to have join_collapse_limit=20 for all users that belong to a
>> certain group. Is there a way to do that without having to alter all the
>> roles that are in that group?
>
>  From what I see in the docs no:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/sql-alterrole.html
>
> "Whenever the role subsequently starts a new session, the specified
> value becomes the session default, overriding whatever setting is
> present in postgresql.conf or has been received from the postgres
> command line. This only happens at login time; executing SET ROLE or SET
> SESSION AUTHORIZATION does not cause new configuration values to be set. "
>
> Looks like the settings only apply to the role that logs in.

This does not, by itself, preclude role-inheritance of variable values.  It
would simply mean that the inheritance resolution routine would only be
resolved at logon.

Unlike GRANT/REVOKE variable value inheritance has potential for
multiple-inheritance resolution ambiguities - which likely increases
cost/benefit equation for anyone looking to implement such a feature.

There is like a scripting solution to this problem to at least minimize the
burden but I do not recall seeing anything already in place that meets this
need.

David J.